Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Since when has America not taught about the evils of its past?

My 4th Grade History Book

By David Hogan
Moody, AL

I'm growing sick of hearing the justification for CRT (Critical Race Theory) that we shouldn't have a problem teaching that America had slavery in its past.

WE DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT.

I was born in 1960 so I have actually lived through things getting better, but even before they got better, we were talking and learning about this atrocity that goes back to antiquity, being slavery.

I DID learn about slavery and the evils of it, even using the often criticized "Know Alabama" textbook in the 4th grade.  You know why?  Because even in the 4th grade we had discussions about what was in the book and how it was presented.

Move on down the timeline to my High School years in the 70's, and I will never forget the great discussions encouraged by Mr. Ippolito, my history teacher at Ensley High School, where we discussed the details of the parts in the constitution about slavery and how there was wording to minimize it and keep it from spreading by the founders, that carried forward to the ultimate end of such, through war and further constitutional amendments and legislation.

Further on up the road in my UAB History class we discussed it as well and in further detail, and like all the previous discussions through my formative years, we did discuss the utter evil of slavery.

So, many other discussions will come and go on CRT, but don't tell me we have a problem with discussing slavery in America, or having done something about it, because I know better, and lived to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment