Friday, November 12, 2021

Most of Us Saw His Back BECAUSE of His KINDNESS

By David Hogan
Moody, AL

Following DD to great memories!

Daniel Webb, known affectionally by so many as DD, is moving away from Birmingham due to his railroad career and that's about all I know, other than I will miss him greatly. 

Many of us easily recognize DD from his back, because we've seen him leading group bicycle rides for years.

Why, do I not have details? 

DD behind me with that SMILE!

Because I know this gentle giant and if I called him to do a story he'd try to talk me out of it. He was never looking for the spotlight as he literally led thousands of cyclists on group rides in Birmingham.

DD gave so many cyclist and motorist wonderful memories with his Tuesday Night, Le Tour de Ham rides, along with his Saturday Stroll ride, and helping others as a "corker" with the Thursday Night Non-Profit Redemptive Cycle Trample Ride.

DD far left front, eating with friends
after a group ride.  His wife Betsy is across
from him.

DD is literally a "Legend in His Own Time".  Most anyone that cycles in Birmingham, AL from the pro riders to those of us just trying to have the childhood joy of a good old bike ride again as an adult, know the contagious smile of DD, Daniel Webb.

DD, center with friends Phil and Egla
on his side.

I'm not going to trouble my dear friend for details on his move, as the reason I'm writing this is for awareness to the few that may not know he is moving, so they can wish him and Betsy all the best, and possibly thank him for all the smiles, leadership, devotion to others, and hills, oh those hills we made it to the other side with this gentle giant of a man, I will never forget.  God Bless you and Betsy, always and literally, thanks for the memories!

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck in your future endeavors and all your support for cycling in the Birmingham area has been most appreciated and won't be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete